about the (soon to be) New Yorker...

Manila Minute, 22, Soon to be New Yorker. In two months, life as i know it will change. Follow me as i move from Manila to New York. No job, no house, no money. Just the desire to start my own life..Read more about me »

Manila, where it all began...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit Featured Work

Keep in touch

RSS Feed Twitter Facebook

Subscribe via email

Celebrity to Minority

Monday, January 18, 2010

You could probably consider me as a not so anonymous local semi-celebrity in my university. When i walk around the campus, double-takes are normal and hearing conversations with my name in it is a rather frequent event. I can't help it, I guess attention comes with being gay. Spending a little more time than the average man on beauty regimens do pay-off. You stand out, girls and the "unstraight" guys tend to notice you. Aside from that, my winning a couple of beauty pageant titles this past year just boosted my profile up by a notch.

Everyone knows looking good has its benefits. People treat the beautiful a little more nicely. They get extra perks just for being pretty. And a little more attention from people always brings about a certain pleasure. Last saturday i passed on my pageant crown to my successor. I walked on the very stage where I was crowned more than a year ago, basking in the attention for the very last time. But what troubles me is that for some reason it feels like it's not only my reign that is ending. I feel like if i go to New York, the perks that comes with the looks will end as well. I've heard a multitude of horror stories about the mean streets of New York. It scares me to think that in 2 months, I'll be living there by myself. I will be shorter than the average westerner and will be a "twink" as compared to american men.(something i dont consider as a compliment) I will no longer be backed up by my looks. Aside from this vanity issue, I will be a minority. No matter how much we fight for equality and how people strive for political correctness, racial discrimination is inevitable. And I'm gay, do i have to explain further?

This sudden change in the way people will be treating me is whats going to be most difficult. I find myself asking, Will i be able to handle NYC? How long will i last?

P.S. I've been winning beauty pageants since i was thirteen but up until now i still don't know what to call myself. If you call girls beauty queens then what do you call me? (i won't take beauty king for an answer)

1 comments:

  1. Unknown said...

    Everyone knows looking good has its benefits

    Playgroup Singapore

Post a Comment