about the (soon to be) New Yorker...

Manila Minute, 22, Soon to be New Yorker. In two months, life as i know it will change. Follow me as i move from Manila to New York. No job, no house, no money. Just the desire to start my own life..Read more about me »

Manila, where it all began...

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit Featured Work

Keep in touch

RSS Feed Twitter Facebook

Subscribe via email

Leaving Adjourned

Thursday, January 28, 2010

It seems like my departure for New York will be moved to a later date, or even worse, be halted completely. The conversations I had with my father over lunch concerning the financial implications of my trip to New York wasn't over. Again he pointed out the expense and the ludicrousness of my trip. There's no point in leaving if I was going to come back in four months. I was just going to waste his money.

I pointed out that before I started the process of verifying my documents and enrolling to a review center for the upcoming state boards, I asked for his approval. I asked for approval before asking for 50,000 pesos to process my documents. I asked for his approval before i devoted the past 1 year of my life to making the necessary preparations for New York. That's 1 year of not working, 1 year of processing documents, 1 year of studying for the exam. Why should i be chastised for something that my dad approved of in the beginning.

I pointed out my frustrations to him. I expressed my anger. Why just now? Why now when I'm about to leave? We should have had this conversation a year ago. But that's where i was wrong. I was wrong to express my dissatisfaction with his decisions. I was wrong to express anything. It's a cultural thing. The Filipino culture that parents are always right. As long as you are living in your parents house, your opinions are limited to either agreeing or neutral.

Don't get me wrong though, I do want to be a Pilot. I would forgo New York if it means i can be a pilot here in Manila. He pointed out that I should just stay here and wait for an opening at PAL aviation school instead of going to New York. He made a couple of of calls to people who, turns out, can pull strings to make my being a pilot easier.

That just made me angrier. Again, he should have made those calls a year ago! If I back out from New York now, then all my efforts for the past year would be for nothing.

Looks like my departure is being threatened to be cancelled. I hope things turn out for the best, whatever the best is.

1 comments:

  1. Unknown said...

    That just made me angrier. Again, he should have made those calls a year ago! If I back out from New York now, then all my efforts for the past year would be for nothing.


    Playgroup Singapore

Post a Comment